Share, , Google Plus, Pinterest,


Posted in:

Hunt’s Men Show Heart To Advance To The Semi-Final In The MTN8

The Clever Boys fought back with 10 men in extra time to defeat a resilient SuperSport United 3-1 in the first quarter final of the MTN8 on Tuesday night. Goals from Vilakazi, Klate and Botes helped a new-look Bidvest Wits side end with a flourish.

Although SuperSport United got proceedings started, it was the home side that looked dominant in the opening exchanges with Vilakazi slotting home a side footed effort after just 2 minutes.

Both teams looked to establish their presence in the game in what was a pacey fiesta half. Botes picked up the sides first yellow card in the 19th minute for his efforts. New signings Pelembe and Klate seemed to effortlessly gel with the core side from last season and offered Vilakazi a new freedom that seemed absent last season.

Moeneeb Josephs looked sharp all night and helped keep out the rare effort on goal from the visiting Matsatsantsa in the first stanza.

Morne Nel went down in referee Victor Gomes book in the 32nd minute for his challenge on Daine Klate and became the first player from the Pretoria based side to do so.

Michael Boxall picked up a yellow in the early exchanges of the second half when he clambered into Daine Klate. SuperSport made their first change in the 54th minute sacrificing Grobler for Mathebula.

Just 3 minutes later the Kiwi, Brockie evened the score with a header from point-blank range.

B.Khumalo picked up the 4th yellow of the game as the Jo’burg based side looked to regain their advantage when he challenged Pelembe.

Gavin Hunt introduced Burundian Pappy Faty into the fray sacrificing Shongwe in the 66th minute as he looked to re-energise the middle of the park.

Mkhwanazi and Hlatshwayo were looking rock-solid at the back before 2 quick yellows for Mkhwanazi saw him get his marching orders and pick up a match ban in the process.

Kingston Nkhatha was introduced in the 69th minute as Wome was withdrawn, this would prove costly as a silly hand ball and dissent towards the ref saw him pick up 2 yellows in a matter of seconds to even the numbers at 10 players each for both sides on the pitch early into added time.

With nothing to separate the sides at 90 minutes, the crowd were in for an additional 30 minutes to find a winner.

In the 99th minute the combination of Vilakazi, Pelembe and Botes would find a wonderful opening for debutant Daine Klate to put his new side ahead with a super diving header angled toward the far post.

A mere 100 seconds later, the crowd erupted as Botes turned back the clock. He beat a player with some neat footwork in the midfield, dropped his shoulder to make room and fired a rocket from 35 yards that had Williams well and truly beaten. 3-1 and at last the home side could breath easy.

A cameo appearance for Pule and Ntsundwana was on offer as Gavin rang the changes pulling off Klate and Botes respectively.

With many positives to draw from Gavin he said “We made some great chances, and we could have had the game won in the first half” in a post-match interview with the press.

Bidvest Wits
3 - 1
SuperSport United
2015/08/0416:00 PM
Bidvest Stadium

Leave a Reply