Pattison plots Chiefs downfall


Matthew Pattison scored one goal and provided two assists as Bidvest Wits defeated Kaizer Chiefs 3-2 in their Telkom knockout clash at the Bidvest Stadium on Saturday night.

The midfielder opened the scoring and also set up goals for Papy Faty and Letsie Koapeng, while Bernard Parker and Lehlohonolo Majoro scored for Chiefs.

The first chance of the match fell for Chiefs in the 5th minute when Erick Mathoho forced Ryan Harrison to turn his headed effort around the corner, before Tefu Mashamaite headed straight to the goalkeeper moments later.

Then two minutes later Kingston Nkhatha should have done better when he was gifted possession by James Mayinga on the edge of the box, but his hurried attempt went wide of the upright.

Wits then stunned Chiefs in the 11th minute when Pattison placed his low shot past Arthur Bartman, but the veteran goalkeeper will be disappointed as the ball went through his hands.

The hosts extended their lead seven minutes later when Pattison delivered a pinpoint freekick into the box for Faty to bundle the ball over the line from close range.

The end-to-end action continued in the 22nd minute with Siyabonga Nkosi and George Lebese missing the target for the visitors, while Thomas Sweswe headed over the bar two minutes later.

Nkhatha had one last chance to pull a goal back before the break when he connected with a cross from George Lebese in the 35th minute, but he also failed to keep his header down.

That proved to be his last meaningful involvement in the game as he was replaced by Majoro straight after the interval.
However, it was the Clever Boys who fired the warning shot in the second half as Mashaba forced a save out of Bartman after robbing Kgotso Moleko of the ball.

Stuart Baxter’s men then brought the Bidvest Stadium alive in the 64th minute Parker controlled a pass from Lebese in the centre of the box before drilling past Harrison on the turn.

However, Chiefs did eventually break the Wits defence in the 64th minute when Parker collected a pass from Lebese inside the box and produced a neat turn before firing past Harrison.

The joy lasted for six minutes before Wits restored their two-goal cushion through substitute Koapeng, who tapped in a Pattison cross.

Amakhosi’s never-say-die attitude was apparent as they reduced the deficit again in the 72nd minute with Majoro showing his composure inside the box before firing into the back of the net.

Antonio Lopez Habas’ side were reduced to ten men in the 90th minute as Tinashe Nengomasha was given his marching orders for a foul on Jimmy Jambo, but they continued to look solid at the back while Chiefs looked vulnerable on the counter.
Mashaba and Koapeng both had chances to put the result beyond doubt in injury time, but the former saw his shot cleared off the line by Abia Nale, while the latter produced a good save from Bartman.

Bidvest Wits (2) 3 (Pattison 11’, Faty 18’, Koapeng 70’
Kaizer Chiefs (0) 2 (Parker 64’ Majoro 72’)

Bidvest Wits: Harrison, Pule (Koapeng 65’), Mokoena, Pattison, Nengomasha, Kadi (Nato 75’), Vilakazi, Sweswe, Faty (Ngalande 88’), Mashaba, Mayinga
Kaizer Chiefs: Bartman, Moleko (Dladla 70’), Mathoho, Mashamaite, Jambo, Letsholonyane, Tshabalala, Nkosi, Parker, Nkhatha (Majoro 46’), Lebese (Nale 78’)


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *